Sunday, April 03, 2011

Baby Sitting Journal_ Day 4

Baby Sitting Journal_ Day 4_

by Lydia Cirilo Carroll on Sunday, April 3, 2011 at 5:29pm

Saturday 4/2/11’ Day 4_

Ahhhh, Saturday… (I’m a day late and a dollar short.)

Was thinking, this Grandmother needs a break!_ when, Dan and Doll came to get me to go eat at Barnhills and go flip-flopping around the flea markets for Dan’s birthday today. What a beautiful day it is for that. Summer has finally arrived! Then I started feeling suddenly ill in the pit of my stomach. They insisted I drink some baking soda water to settle it fast. I did_ it didn’t. :/ But I’m sure you know that didn’t deter my flea market excursions. I’ve been sick stomached many times before.

I feed Paris and got her ready to go. Payton was getting ready to go off and spend the day with Perry, and Brad was taking Paris with him for the day, to make estimates on some side jobs. I figured you had given him the 1-2, about spending extra time with her while you were gone so she wouldn’t feel completely deserted, but still I thought it was awfully sweet of him since you wouldn’t really half to know. She loves going off with him.

One could guess, the expenses of this all girly ‘Cozumel cruise’ you’re on, would be an initiative for the current side jobs. Well, at least it’s supposed to be a girl thing. I forgot to ask if you had found that young, strong, handsome ‘thang’, you had mentioned, to tote your luggage up that long gang plank. Never-you-mind_ you can answer that later. I can keep a secret.

Awh, and little Paris can tell them. She is ever so adorable telling her secrets. Piss-apiss-apiss she says, in her little hushed tones. ha ha. Did I say, she is an absolute living Doll?

She wasn’t so sure about uncle Dan but eventually, though warily, she let him hold her a minute, even though her back was in ‘arch mode’ while she kept her eyes trained on him, with her brows in that ‘what’s up with this guy’ look. Eventually she relaxed ever so slightly, and gave one of her, ‘ok I’m pretending everything is ok’ grins, so he would put her down. She did well and gave all goodbye hugs, which I think actually could have interpreted as ‘good riddance’.    

Well, I did say Payton was getting ready to go with Perry, but he didn’t. He opted to go to the flea markets with us instead. A small debate ensued because we all know he normally hates going shopping, but in the end he decided to take the gamble. He loved every minute of it. He rode up front with his uncle Dan, while Doll and I rode in the back so we could chat more easily. He felt all grown up, I’m sure.

His Dad gave him a little money to spend and offered me some. I think my ill stomach had over-ridden my good senses because I declined the offer. Dum-dum!

Payton found his prize at the first place we stopped_ a fishing pole. I talked him out of it cause it didn’t have a reel. Plus I don’t know a thing about them and didn’t want him getting a bum deal. Of course, while talking to him about them, I pretended to be the expert. Oh.., AND it was going to take all his money, PLUS some. But luckily, Uncle Dan says he has one he’ll give him. He sweetly thanked him and was elated to be getting a fishing pole and still have money of his own to spend. There was a double bonus when his Aunt Doll gave him another five dollars to add to his own money. Of course, true to form, he wanted lots of things that cost more than his money could buy. Prices have gone up, even in the flea markets these days. But all-n-all Payton got a cap with a tractor on it, a cap that says, “sugar daddy”, some protective goggles for dirt bike riding, a noisy guitar which is supposed to teach kids to play professionally_(yeah uh-huh), a measuring cup for his mom (thanks to the dish washer, I couldn’t read yours), a knife for his Dad, some kind of story he was interested in, and thanks to me_ 4 more books that he wasn’t interested in. : )  

Even though Paris didn’t go with us she got a cute little dress, a set of 9 little books, a basket I put in her drawer for socks, so I could find them more easily, and 3 puzzles. One to help learn the different body parts, one for learning to recognize the right and left feet and counting toes, and one that helps her recognize how to find and set in puzzle shapes_ all of which she loved. Ah..*sighing wistfully* Don’t worry, I put the dress in the dirty clothes to be washed and washed the rest with lysol.

For myself, I found a nice heavy gauge small pot with a glass lid to go with my set at home. I thought about getting an adorable tote bag that had a Loralie [Lora-`lie] design on it, (because I love Loralie’s designs), but I didn’t like the cheep bags the carrier embroidered her designs too. Poor Loralie, if she was to see her absolutely darling, au courant, designs on those cheapo’ bags it just might be a...uh.. sad day.  

I told Payton he was the best, because of the way he entertained us in relating the day’s event later that evening. He says, “Ok, add it to that.” (Speaking of adding it to this journal for your benefit.) So you are being unequivocally reminded_ ‘he is so stinkin funny and such a great story teller.’ I find the best stories are always the true stories. Especially in this family.

The events of the day turned out to be an uproarious exchange of chatter that evening when Payton did all the reruns of his uncle Dan and his antics. He explained of how Uncle Dan `alleged he had five, six, seven, or `EIGHT fishing poles, in which he could choose one to give him. I had no idea he was paying so much attention to him, but who could help noticing, when Dan reached from 5 to 8 poles. I nearly collapsed myself in his hilarity. Payton had it down to his lisping, Cajun speech, enunciations, and his way of incessantly, insisting you to go back to the bar for more food and ice cream. Like one of us might need the prodding! Laugh-out-loud…

Never-the-less we thanked Dan for having us trail along and insisting he buy our dinner for his birthday. Dan’s a generous ole guy. Happy Birthday Uncle Dan.

Actually I didn’t think Dan looked real well. He looked a little ashen, and looked as though he were on something that made his eyes appear stretched and bugged like he was on a weekend speed high. I quietly ask Doll about it, and she said he wasn’t on any type of prescription `narcotics of any kind. Well Dan is half deaf, so he is used to periodically asking what the convo is about. He chose that moment to ask. Sometimes it’s hard for him to comprehend even after you repeat the convo; so Doll habitually shortens the relay and she told him I was concerned about the way his eyes were wide open. He looked totally puzzled and said, “Well there supposed to be, I’m wide awake!” Needless to say, no one at our table could refrain from the rowdy joviality.


Of course, all of those events happened `after Miss Prissy woke early and walked and fell all over Daddy’s head. She needed height to see over the tall headboard and out the bedroom window. What better way to improvise!? A smart little girl. Of course it `was the bed, so the jolly pouncing up and down on him as well, was a little part of the flavor of morning. Apparently she had to be put in his bed at some point between bed time and early morn. I don’t know how long he endured that, but once I could hear her feet pattering across the floor she was in full throttle, so I knew it was time for me to get up and fix her oatmeal and fruit cereal.

It didn’t matter to her in the least that I hadn’t gotten to bed till after 5:00am. No, I had not meant to do that, but as you know sometimes my biological clock gets stuck and I have no idea that time has passed me by. I knew once Brad got up looking for something to sooth his chapped,burning lips and realized the night was gone. Mmmm, is that the best choice of words?  

Brad and Payton eventually went to the shop to help somebody work on something, so that evening we changed partners and it was Paris and I once again. I turned on her Barney songs and she danced around merrily, sometimes doing her hips Hawaiian style. She looked particularly adorable doing that in her three tiered ruffled skirt. She is really very good at everything she does_ or is that just me?

Of course since everyone was scattered and on the go, I didn’t have to do supper, so leftovers was it for me and Paris.

All went well till bed and bath time. She has begun to morph into meltdown mode anytime I brush her teeth. :/ I have decided to forfeit that job, because babysitting is almost over and I don’t want her remembering that her grandmother tortured her, during what little time she had invaded her life.

By now.. we are all missing you.


Baby_Sitting_journal_Day_1
Baby_Sitting_Journal_Day_2
Baby_Sitting_Journal_Day_3
Baby_Sitting_Journal_Day_4
Baby_Sittting_Journal_Day_5

4 comments:

Lydia Carroll said...

hey I didn't know you put this here. Thanks. Thats cool. Apparently i'm not getting all my multiply post directed to my emails which I opted to get.

Byron @ said...

Stuff on FB is harder to find for me, especially after a dew days. Saving it here was easy.

Byron @ said...

Maybe reset them for insurance: http://multiply.com/setup/alerts

Lydia Carroll said...

ok thanks.