Sunday, May 17, 2009

A new Beginning, Part II

I was home, and had many visitors. To some, I seemed normal, although a little hyper and talkative. Being quite solemn most of the time, a few even liked this newly extroverted, friendlier me, and withheld their reservations.

Of course, my wife and partner of the last nine years knew that something was amiss, and worried that I was still not getting the rest my body and mind so desperately needed. On several occasions, the suggestion that I need to go see a doctor was strongly implied by her to no avail. I dismissed this idea as unnecessary as I only needed rest. Rest did not come.

After a couple of days, of countless long distance phone calls to people I called only on special occasions, like birthdays, holidays, and so forth, my mind felt extremely clear, my hearing was acute, and exaggerated, it was impossible to sleep with the slightly noise, real or imagined. My mind began to see things that were not there, the hallucinations became more vivid, no, there was no backup of sewage in the tub, the TV was not glowing at night. Crop dusters were not wagging their wings over my home with broken sprayers spewing poisons. The jogger behind the Cadillac was someone only I could see.

When I disrobed, and ran into the muddy fields, that's when the ambulance came. The local constable and my Father-in-law was desperately trying to cover up my shame, and to keep the mosquitoes abated. In a distant part of my brain there was some sort of unknown recognition that I was not supposed to be naked, even though it was the end of the world. I did accept a pair of undershorts. *insert laugh here*

On the way to the hospital, I implored the EMT as to the reasons for this special treatment, he only agreed with me, that we were going somewhere I could get some answers. Of course, the government needs me, only we have to make this one little stop first.  

3 comments:

Byron @ said...

The stop would be a long one, transferred to another hospital, I spent 10 days in the hospital's special care unit. At first, I could not sleep, this was in spite of enough sedation to take down an elephant, according to the doctor, a psychiatrist that had been called in for my benefit. I felt shut in, and I wanted out. Out came the window screens to the roof that only dropped three floors to the pavement, upside down went the heavy hospital bed that I thought was much too hard for comfort. I was never violent, but my actions were poising a risk of injury to myself. Finally, after around 24 hours, I slept.When I awoke from the fog, I remembered very vividly everything that had taken place, memory was never a problem for me. Happily, embarrassment was not high on my list either. I still was not completely rational, as I was having a hard time separating myself from the all too real hallucinations and thoughts that had traversed my mind the last few days. I was in a new world, a world of doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, ECGs, and medications that I heretofore knew nothing about.

Byron @ said...

When I awoke from the fog, I remembered very vividly everything that had taken place, memory was never a problem for me. Happily, embarrassment was not high on my list either. I still was not completely rational, as I was having a hard time separating myself from the all too real hallucinations and thoughts that had traversed my mind the last few days. I was in a new world, a world of doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, ECGs, and medications that I heretofore knew nothing about.© 2009 byronc

Byron @ said...

what is going on here?