Sunday, October 03, 2004

Duty calls

It is 3:30 am and I have just returned from being summoned to extract
guests from a stalled elevator, I say stalled because the term stuck,
which everybody uses, just doesn't fit in this case. Its like I learned
quickly when first being introduced to the oil field and La. gumbo
(mud) several years ago. You're not stuck if you're moving, however
slightly, because sometimes you can worm your way out, with a backwards
and forward motion. Anyway, as I was saying, being awakened from a deep
sleep at 12:47 A.M., it is at first difficult to realize who you're
talking to on the other end of the phone, as I was not awakened by the
ring, the telephone was thrust in my hand in the middle of the night.
Then when you understand the nature of the problem, you know the party
on the other end of the phone is clueless as to what to do in
emergencies (used loosely here), and is not understanding your simple
instructions as to how to remedy this situation, and is not going to be
able to follow simple procedures. Sigh.
I
am already dressed, and on my way, I have called in route and know the
guests have already gotten themselves out, via yelling and cursing
loudly, for they are quite drunk, as is nearly everyone else I see this
time of morning, and have managed to damage the doors and make certain
the elevator is inoperable. Of course, this only gives a secondary
reason to continue on my way, I must now survey the damages, and return
my elevator to service if possible, I must also determine the cause of
the previously mentioned "stuck" condition.
There is a single shoe
and an unfortunate coyote in the highway as I persist on my duty call.
I think maybe they are the lucky ones, their job is done.
I arrive
at work, and retrieve my service keys, and find that the outer door has
been kicked out by my inebriated guests in their frustration and
realization that the security (another term used loosely) guard is
unable to help them. These doors have served faithfully for just over
77 years and they have been compromised inside the space of a half
hour. I make sure the guard understands this has happened on his watch.
There is no need for anger, I am satisfied with showing this person how
very simple it is to reach across from the second elevator, and unlatch
an undamaged door, with a broomstick, as were my words while on the
phone.
I discover first the reason for the stopped elevator, by
accessing the top of the car and traveling down the hoist way on
inspection. A misalignment of the roller cam on the inside car door and
the outer hallway door, a couple of washers behind the roller fixes the
problem. As for the outer door, which is wooden, it takes more coaxing
to return it to its proper position inside its frame, and I create even
more damage to affect the repair. Ah, well, I can worry about
aesthetics another day, what's important now is make the elevator car
useful.
I am home, but awake now, and fatigue feels slowly slipping
in. Sometimes I ask myself why I have for so many years always managed
to get these jobs which require a pager, and 24 hour on call duty. Then
I look around my home, and I understand, this is why, duty calls. bc

3 comments:

Charles Cirilo said...

Daddy once told me that for those who love to get up and go to work there is no virtue in what they do, for their work is their pleasure. Furthermore, he said, in his opinion, they were either crazy or liars, and possibly both. He said that it was when we did what we otherwise would not do because we loved our families that we behaved virtuously. He told me he loved us all, as you apparently love yours. Bravo.

Byron @ said...

For a mostly self educated man, Dad was quite a philosopher, and pretty smart too, to be able to get all those messages through to his kids in so short of a time. I am thankful he loved us with all his energy.

Byron @ said...

You are very welcome. I can imagine that as a G.M. over several properties, you also have your share of calls for many situations which could possibly be handled with a little initiative and common sense.