Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The Miracle Nickel

The Miracle Nickel

I got back a nickel today, along with some other change, forty-eight cents to be exact. This is no ordinary nickel though, it's a well-seasoned nickel from 1952. Aside from the obvious wear from many years of use, what sets this nickel apart from the other change that I received, including another nickel, is how it immediately caught my eye, even as it passed from the cashiers hand to mine. Keep in mind that I rarely venture out from my job during the off season for supplies due to a drop in revenue, that I waited two days for the boss to briefly show up to ask for the unexpected expense to rent a jagger pump to pump out the cellar of the hotel owners home because of a burst water pipe, that this hasn't occurred in any winter conditions we've had previously, and I just happened to stop at this convenience store for the gas for the pump, and well, you have quite an unusual set of coincidences. Not convinced?
It has been one week since my oldest brother's birthday, and just two days since I posted a belated birthday wish in his memory Adrian.
I have contemplated much lately on how blessed I am and how I attribute that to God, who happens to be the same for all of us, as there can only be one, if not, we must change our definition and meaning of the word God (almighty being) and when you change the meaning of the word, the word God ceases to exist as it becomes an antithesis, and therefore there is no God, and I refuse to entertain that folly.
There are many misfortunes that befall us, there are tragedies and sorrow, there is also joy, and peace. I remember one of my Dad's many favorite songs, taken from the book of Job. Thou God slay me yet I trust him. He had a beautiful singing voice and you couldn't help but notice when he sang. There was also no way of ignoring when he prayed. When you speak of faith, it is actually a very easy gift to have when you realize that faith is synonymous with trust, and I can trust God completely, as he will not lie.
I passed by a man on the sidewalk yesterday, I noticed him as he rounded the corner, and as our eyes met, his limp became noticeably worse. With my window down he had the opportunity to ask for fifty cents, on my reluctance, it became one dollar, one dollar fifty cents, to catch the trolley, Sir. Boy, is he good, I thought as I observed his attire. He was wearing a fashionable full-length coat and a clean wool scarf around his neck. He was wearing what appeared to be some well fitting alligator ankle boots, pointed and heeled that I wouldn't mind having myself if I weren't so modest. Still, I declined, and as he moved away he said a God bless you, so I received a blessing anyway, in spite of my stinginess.
Then, leaving from work, on the bridge in front of me was a car that looked like it was slowing down, or maybe backing up because one of the lights on the driver's side was white, like a backup light. I slowed and changed lanes to avoid being run over by the cars behind me, which were in a mad rush at 5 o'clock in the evening. As I passed by on the left I could plainly see that it was a lady in a disabled vehicle with her emergency flashers on, and she clearly looked distressed. In my rear view mirror I saw the oncoming traffic having a terrible time of it trying to avoid her vehicle and each other and I thought for a moment about going back around and at least trying to slow traffic with my liability insured only truck, then I thought better of it.
This morning, on my way back to work, there is a hitchhiker (sigh). He was walking hurriedly with his back facing the traffic, thumb out, and maybe late for work somewhere. I didn't pick him up.

There are many opportunities to do good that elude us, but it must be tempered with good judgment. There are too many needs.
One can only hope that when we are weighed in the balance, there are enough times we said yes to outweigh all the nos, and we don't come up wanting.

Therefore, I give you my miracle nickel. God still smiles at me, and Adrian; God rest your soul.

byron 12-29-04


nickel

No comments: