Sunday, November 07, 2004

I Will Follow


I have just passed another milestone, my ninth year anniversary on my
present job. There was no fanfare, no bells, whistles, or confetti, not
even an acknowledgment of a goal seldom reached in the notoriously
revolving door of the hospitality business.
In my young and restless days, I would have strongly considered moving on
after five, so, how did this happen? Maturity, you say? Complacency?
Losing sight of a vision of always moving up and onward? I can tell you
now, those restless feelings are still there, but somehow, somewhere,
they are reshuffled to the back of the deck, to make room for the
different hand that has, more recently, been dealt. Impulse gives way
to reason, and desire yields to necessity.
If there is one bit of advice I have for the new generation, it is to make the most of the
spontaneity and vigor with which you envision life's challenges and
crossroads, for these are the moments that will define you as you
approach that "oh, so far off middle age".
Seldom is life so generous as to give you that second chance, which is in us all, to
start anew, and if by circumstance we do, we are not the same. There is
no fearless desire to run naked through the woods (although I've done
it a time or two at far, far, too old), there is no expediency to being
number one in the crowd. There is no longer "Me" and "Now". There is
however a different kind of boldness. I am not afraid of things that go
bump in the night. No longer do I fear hunger, or illness, or
unemployment, nor despair, because I have been visited by all these
things, and I have endured, and I know there will be tomorrow.
With our increasing age comes our greatest strength, and this is experience,
and the wisdom to pass it along to our children, and to theirs. In this
day and age there are many who may contemplate that there is no God,
or, there must be many Gods, but now, more than ever, I can fervently
say, and without a doubt, God bless my children, and keep them from
harms way, for where I lead them, they will follow.


The
direst foe of courage is the fear itself, not the object of it, and the
man who can overcome his own terror is a hero and more.
- -- George MacDonald


8 comments:

naDia O said...

greetingz O' wise one.......profound advice is checked & logged in!

XXXX YYYY said...

very interesting.

Lotus Dale said...

This post of yours, Bunny, is one of my favorites. The whole piece. I must say, however, that I can truly identify with the quoted piece above. It's true, I've been visited by all these things, and somehow, tomorrow keeps coming. The greatest despair has been most recently (June 2007) ... yet the sun keeps coming up, even when I feel that it couldn't possibly. More than ever, I appreciate all that our parents passed along to us. With my own, that is part of the wisdom I've gleaned.

chris sampson said...

Wise words ...well spoken.
Yes ....The trick to happiness is to never lose sight of today. To go though life fretting about yesterday and what could have been, is a waste of what little time
we have on this old earth. Today is where happiness is there for the enjoying, whether it's the little things your children do, or the act of helping another person.
What ever you chose to do in your everyday life....do it well. These are the blessings in our lives and tomorrow is just a bonus, even if it's only to try and make
lemonade out of lemons. You sound like a man that knows what he has in life, you are a lucky man. Chris

Lotus Dale said...

You have another milestone coming up this summer with the marriage of your eldest son.

Byron @ said...

Absolutely. Only yesterday I held my first born in my arms like he is holding his in the accompanying photo.

Byron @ said...

Thanks, Chris. I realise that I am blessed with comforts, home, and children that are well and making their own way with little pieces of us that we give without thought or process sometimes. It truly is the little things that can make the best things happen for us.

Lotus Dale said...

I know how you feel.

Today is my emmy's bday. She's 5. And your kailani is hot on her feels turning five too!