Friday, September 17, 2004

aphasia & history



Lee, don't know how you manage to keep all those bits of information in
your head for our enjoyment, but most, if not all, has some accuracy.

Lydia says: "..it also told me sherwin, then it said its not sherwin at all. my mind thinks hes the guy that fought grant."

I
take an interest in this because we have this large portrait in the
lobby alongside 1 of Grants flags that draped his coffin and I'm the
one whos called upon to tell the story behind the people in the
portrait and the historical event it is portraying.

Henry S. Sherwin did indeed fight in the Civil War.
He was 1 of the original California 100 who volunteered to go fight back east (I think they had too much sunburn).
2nd Regiment of Cavalry, Massachusetts Volunteers
(The California 100 and the California Cavalry Battalion)
they
were assigned to Sheridan's Army of the Shenandoah, and participated in
the sweep of the Confederates from the Shenandoah Valley during the
fall and winter of 1864. They fought with distinction in the battles of
Winchester, Luray, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek. They were part of the
long march from the Shenandoah to Petersburg in February and March of
1865 and later participated in the battles of Dinwiddie Court House,
Five Forks and Sailors Creek. At wars end they were present at the
surrender of Lee at Appomattox Court House. They took part in the Grand
Review at Washington, D.C. on May 23,
1865.http://www.militarymuseum.org/2ndMassCav.html


So thanks for filling me in on a little more of history.

6 comments:

Lydia Carroll said...

hey, you are very welcome. it always pleases me to be able to conjure up any tidbit of info that someone else in the family doesn't already know. just that thing about being the baby you know and always feeling a little left handed so to speak. well the truth be known i didnt remember a lot of history until i had to teach my own children home school for so many years. bubba will probaply not remember him either till he has to help his children with home work.
was lee, grant and sheriden that had their pic. taken by the tent at the at the signing if i remember right? i was impressed with the valantry of both lee and grant.

Larry Rogers said...

My name is Larry Rogers, Concord, CA. I'm not sure how this site works, but I was very excited to see the portrait that Lydia says hangs in the lobby of her building. My ggf, Abraham Loane, was a member of the California Hundred. I would be most interested in knowing where the portrait hangs and if a copy could be obtained as I believe my ggf was at that function in 1886 at Sacramento, CA.
Inanticipation of a positive reply. I am, most sincerely
Larry Rogers

Lotus Dale said...

Hi Larry,
Mention of that portrait was by tejasmidget. The portrait hangs in the lobby at the Eola Hotel in Natchez, Mississippi. I will let him respond as that is abt all I know abt it.
:)

Byron @ said...

http://www.militarymuseum.org/2ndMassCav.html
Larry, sorry to disappoint you, but the picture that I was referring to that is hanging in the Natchez Eola Hotel's lobby, was of Grant, Lee, & Sheridan.
If you will follow the link in the story, also posted above, it will bring you to the page with the information on the portrait you are wanting to visit.
"An original copy of this photograph can be viewed at the Drum Barracks Civil War Museum in Wilmington, California."
Hope this helps, byron.

Lydia Carroll said...

hey tejasmidget, are we famous now because the info we shared is being solicited by people we don't know? ;)

Byron @ said...

infamously famous. i hope we were able to help cal100 in some way. the photo he was looking for is only miles from his home, not thousands.